The lesson: water is denser than oil and the two liquids never mix. So, when the water in your ocen jar moves, it pushes the oil around making shapes like waves.
Here's what you'll need:
- Clear jar or bottle with lid
- Blue food coloring
- Baby Oil
- Plastic floating toys
Now get started on bring the ocean to you:
- Fill the jar or bottle halfway with water.
- Add drops of the blue food coloring until your like the color you see. Shake in a little glitter to add a little pizazz to your ocean water.
- Pour baby oil into the jar until it's three-quarters full.
- Place a floating toy or multiple floating toys on top of the oil, and then screw the lid on until it's pretty snug and tight.
- Shake the jar gently to make some waves and set your ocean in motion! Think about this: when you shake the jar side to side are the waves produced different than those you see when you shake the jar in an up-and-down motion?